[DeTomaso] Windshield Install

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Mon Apr 26 20:58:02 EDT 2010

I'd like to thank all who responded to my question on windshield sealant.

As I prepped the window for insertion, I opened up the package with the new gasket and retrieved the black powdercoated trim.  I stretched the new soft rubber gasket around the glass and began to insert the trim strips.  During this process, I began to recall the mess that Dan Mixon, David Bell and I made trying to apply sealant when installing David's windshield many years back.  It was a mess.  Looking at the gaskets design, I was reminded how the sealant we placed in the channel was pushed out as we pulled the gasket flap over the channel edge.

With those fresh memories in hand and on the advice on several private responses I received, I decided to not use any sealant.

Two friends came by yesterday at 1:00pm and we began the installation.  With window cleaner as a lubricant and the seal channel wrapped in string, we began the process.

Unfortunately, we couldn't get all four sides in place.  Setting our egos aside, I decided to call in a professional before I was responsible for purchasing the owner a new windshield.

The installer came by this evening and made me feel better, It took him two tries and two hours to get it in place.  It was among the most difficult installations he had to do.  It was a well spent $95.

Window is in and looks great.

JT