[DeTomaso] Two Panteras at BBORR

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:47:03 EDT 2010

The Panteras were sorely missed at Big Bend this year.  Everybody was asking about them and telling stories about our last big gathering there.  Just not much interest from the P car group this year...actually none.  I just recently found a good block and

later a complete engine, so I wasn't ready with the Pantera.  What the DeTomaso group lacked in enthusiasn was more than made up for by the Vette group I belong to.  We just finished a year of work on a 3 day charity car show the weekend before Big Bend and still had a nice group of rookies go out.  I worked as an instructor this year.  That was different to say the least.

The race was red flagged after a couple of incidents.  One of my friends left the road at speed and started HER own cedar tree eradication project as well removing several other desert plants and barbed wire fencing.  She's OK.  I went through the the debris field at 135mph right after it happened so I was able to make the run.  That wreck, cattle on the road that came through the open fencing, as well as other off road events caused things to run too far behind schedule.  Dave Adin won a 1st place

in his V8 Miata.  Jim Cooper, my Pantera Nav, took a 1st in his LT4 Vette.  There were 27 cars in my class and I don't know how bad I did as the results weren't published the last time I looked.  Girlfriend Lorna had never done this before and was a little nervous about the speeds and letting me down.  We ran less than half a second off on the first leg, but I broke through the 140mp tech speed several time on the way back trying to get to target speed.  She didn't look up too often but did really well.

No screaming.  Despite all the excitement, nobody got hurt so it was a good race.  There was fun for all and I was constantly

hearing from all the that the Big Bend event is the best ORR being run today.  Too bad more Panteras weren't there.  Maybe next time...although the Vette was fast and fun.

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa
A Fiberglass Pain in the Ass!