[DeTomaso] ROTELLA motor oil

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 12:28:38 EDT 2010

Michael,

What oil pressure do you see on cold stat up with the 20/50 weight? The 20/50 is a bit viscous especially if you are not concerned about winter usage, unless your engine is designed with tolerances for it or little tired.

Virtually no legal for road use oils have enough ZDDP anymore, certainly not anything that meets the API std for SL or SM designation. Most elevated ZDDP oils are now sold as Racing Oils for "off higway use"

Personally I use exclusively Bradd Penn (what was Kendall Green Oil) in all my sports cars. Penn-Grade 1 oils have a “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P)

Other brands which are reportedly high in ZDDP are;

Valvoline VR1 Racing, 1300ppm Zn and 1200ppm P

Shell Rotella T 1400ppm ZN and 1300ppm P

Pennzoil 20/50 Racing 1960ppm Zn and 1800ppm P

Quaker State Q Racing 2000ppm Zn and 1800ppm P

The alternative is to get some fo the ZDDP additives to add to a regular oil.

Julian