[DeTomaso] Were these 3 things stock?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 10:10:35 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/25/10 4 48 8, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> 1. Yesterday was a good day for #1488.  I tore out the drivers side
> carpet,
> added dynomat-ish soundproofing, and test fitted my newly built C4 seats
> and
> carpet kit.  When I had the old carpet out, I noticed there were 4
> symmetrical v-cut tabs/grooves in the floorpan.  Two up front and two near
> the back.  These grooves go all the way through the floor pan and were
> covered up with metal tape.  When I pulled the tape, there was naturally
> some minor rust under them from road water.  I slapped some bondo to seal
> up
> the holes.    There was also two quarter-sized holes in the floorboard.
> One
> open to the road and the other open to a structural member.  Are these
> grooves and holes stock and what would their purpose be?
>
>>>They are drain holes, to drain any water that accidently enters the
cabin.   They are V-shaped to allow water to drain out, yet prevent water from
splashing into the car from underneath.

> >2. I have two emblem holes on the front driver's side fender.  I just saw
> picture of a 73 on ebay and that car has a ghia emblem on it in that spot.
> How many cars had this emblem?
>
>>>All of them.
>
> >3. Lastly, I am concerned that I have original fuel lines that may
> degrade
> with the ethanol content in today's gas. The lines from the tank are
> well-worn steel braided covered lines.  Did the stock 71s, come with steel
> braided?
>
>>>They are braided, but I don't think the braid is steel--at least not in
the sense we're accustomed to thinking about.

Without a doubt, you are about 20 years overdue for a fuel line change.
The cheapest, crappiest new fuel line you can buy is a thousand times better
than 35-year-old lines.