[DeTomaso] replacing shocks today-help!

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 11:11:20 EDT 2010

I tried to do it the 'easy' way but it didn't work for me.  The parts were just
too tightly held together.

You may have already reviewed the procedure I documented here:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/FrontShocksRnR.asp

Are you over your head?  No it is rather easy.

Chuck

Folks,
I am getting different adive on replacing front shocks on a 1972L.  some folks say I must
remove lower ball joint and entire brake caliper disc etc.. and drop lower a-arm.  Some
folks say just to remove mounting bolts and remove shock assembly (as does the Ford
manual)
Before I do this project, I wanted to know what I am really getting into.  Just from a
visual it looks tight to remove the shock assembly from between the a-arms without
dropping a-arm.  Maybe if I push top of shock inward I can slip it out?
I have limited mechanical skills, I have done brake jobs, intake, valve covers,
brakelines, radiator etc..  but no suspension work.
Am in in over my head?
Thanks