[DeTomaso] replacing shocks today-help!

panteratime at aol.com panteratime at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 09:57:15 EDT 2010

Folks,
I am getting different adive on replacing front shocks on a 1972L.  some folks say I must remove lower ball joint and entire brake caliper disc etc.. and drop lower a-arm.  Some folks say just to remove mounting bolts and remove shock assembly (as does the Ford manual)
Before I do this project, I wanted to know what I am really getting into.  Just from a visual it looks tight to remove the shock assembly from between the a-arms without dropping a-arm.  Maybe if I push top of shock inward I can slip it out?
I have limited mechanical skills, I have done brake jobs, intake, valve covers, brakelines, radiator etc..  but no suspension work.
Am in in over my head?
Thanks