[DeTomaso] Partnumbers for Fontana Clevor/C302B - need help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 17:04:09 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/23/10 12:28:14 PM, joernco at online.no.net writes:

> Hope Dan/Jack or someone else of you living parts catalogs can help me!
> Have lost some of my documents/mails when my old laptop died. Anyone who
> knows the partnumbers to use:
> -          Exhaust gasket
> -          Head gasket
> -          Intake gasket
> -          Oil pan gasket

With an aluminum block, you should use a teflo or graphite-coated composite
head gasket such as Fel-Pro #1021. With alloy heads & block, you cannot run
a gasket with steel or copper rings, as the rings will dent the soft head
or block surface- or both. As I remember your Fontana w/SVO heads, the bore
size was not beyond 4.100" dia so this gasket should fit. This gasket crushed
to 0.042" on my engine, for compression ratio calculations.
Exhaust & intake gaskets -also from Fel-Pro- will vary depending on which
heads you have and whether they've been ported or not, since the intake &
exhaust port sizes can be quite different and Fel-Pro sells specific sizes.
The oil pan gasket and front/back seals are stock Cleveland but due to the
large amount of heat expansion in aluminum blocks, I don't recommend cork
pan gaskets; they tend to get pinched in two and leak after a few heat cycles.
Std neoprene pan gaskets last longer; same for alloy heads with cast
aluminum rocker covers.

Jorn, does this mean you're tearing the engine down again? I've got some
Fontana info coming in a future POCA Newsletter that you may find valuable
before you reassemble. For instance, the cam in your Fontana is (unless its
been bored) a Cleveland bearing size but the timing chain and sprockets are
Windsor size, and with your roller cam, you are likely running heavy-duty steel
cam-chain sprockets. According to Ford Racing, this combination requires a
hardened steel Windsor cam thrust plate (Ford Racing p/n M6269-A351) to
prevent the kind of thrust-plate wear you experienced a few years ago. At that
time, you probably had a stock hardened cast iron Windsor thrust plate-
incompatible with steel chain sprockets as you found out. Or, Danny Bee Racing
sells a bronze thrust plate through Summit Racing. FWIW, the new 2010 Ford
Racing parts catalogue is on-line, but there's darn little Cleveland info or
parts anymore! The thrust plate info is on pg 121.
Good luck- J DeRyke (just getting into my Fontana build)