[DeTomaso] 302b vs 4v iron heads

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 16:06:59 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/23/10 9:02:37 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> If my recollection is correct, the C302b heads (and later C3 and
> current D3 heads) were cast with small ports and lots of meat to allow the race
> teams to have a lot of room to make the ports the way they wanted them.  I'm
> not sure, but I think the A3, B3, and maybe C302 heads were cast with ports
> fairly close to useable dimensions.  As a result, the finished size of
> C302b ports can vary a lot.

Thats true of the intake ports, which got smaller & thicker as the SVO part
numbers got larger, but remenber the EXHAUST ports on SVO heads also varied
in size and are raised 1-1/2", with a different bolt pattern. So the usual
'Pantera' headers will not bolt on without a LOT of port-matching and
pattern drilling, or in the worst cases, you cut the flanges completely off your
old headers and weld on SVO-specific flange plates while recontouring one or
two pipes to clear the fuel tank & coil-overs. Been there & done that (on
GTS headers) and it isn't much fun! Good luck- J DeRyke