[DeTomaso] local classifieds update

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 12:03:13 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/22/10 8 59 33, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> Interesting!  I didn't know you could polish our Magnesium wheels like
> that.
>
>>>Really, you can't. :<(

> How does he keep them from oxidizing? Are they clear coated, or sealed
> with a product like Zoop Seal?
>
>>>They oxidize rather quickly; the polished finish only lasts for a week
or two.   Then, you get to polish them again. :<(

There's a guy in Sacramento who has a set of two-slot 15x7 wheels on his
Mustang; he doesn't drive the car that often but he has to polish the wheels
before every drive.   All the markings have long since been polished away, as
every time you polish something, you remove a tiny amount of the material.
 Before long his wheels will be translucent. :>)

The guy who restored my Pantera ran his wheels polished for a few years,
but he eventually gave up on trying to preserve the finish.   He clearcoated
them once and they oxidized under the clearcoat, so he had to strip them and
polish them (by hand) again.   He finally gave up and painted them properly.
:>)