[DeTomaso] # of surviving cars

Tim Hobley timhobley at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:55:54 EDT 2010

Dear all,

Trying to post for the first time on the e-mail list, so hope this isn't a double post.

Just wanted to say that I think that Chuck's registry is absolutely fantastic. It is amazing that one person has managed to assemble, maintain and continue the growth of a registry with so many De Tomasos, and not only that, there is a heap of other information there. I think the need to register a car before getting access is a good way to ensure that the registry continues to grow and the success of that tactic should be applauded. If you keep your eye on e-bay or Craigs list etc. then you can soon find a car to register and get access to the list.

Chuck is continuously improving the information in the registry with new sections. He has recently nailed down the number of American GTS's, and does a number of other studies and confirmations (or denials) of hearsay and myth. I have to confess that almost every day I log on to the registry to look at the new cars and the new updates (yes I am a sad case!). I think the registry is very easy to use - sure you have to log in a couple of times and get kicked out every now and then, but that is really no problem.

I don't see why Chuck shouldn't keep building it up and maintain his ownership of it. He has an amazing enthusiasm and is doing a fantastic job, I am pretty sure that if it was to be taken over by others, even those with the best interests, it would not be same. We just have to look at the demise of the magazine from one of the Pantera forums/clubs to see that even the best intentions are not always enough, or that their priorities change. The registry is very regularly updated and whenever I have sent in changes for my own car they were done within 1-2 days. E-mails are answered rapidly. It is really amazing when you think about the size of the registry. When I sent an update of my details to one of the other registries, there was no e-mail back and the update didn't happen for months. I managed to secure an original of the van Ess registry (funnily enough from Chuck!) and whilst impressive is so far outdated that the benefits of Chuck's registry that can continually grow and evolve are far superior. I am a member of POCA and am really glad for them, but I would guess that on the one hand they would love to be able to take over the registry, and on the other hand they would be having nervous palpitations about who was going to maintain and keep building it. Nevertheless, I hope that when Chuck does tire of the work it does get handed over to e.g. POCA and all those years of work don't dissapear or fall into disrepair.

For those wanting some kind of official verification of their car, there is always the Marti report, which I have paid for and am very glad to have. There are also official bodies that can be used to verify a car and to give it a passport, such as FIVA ( http://www.fiva.org/EN/index2.html ), but I am sure there are others too.

I am sure there are many things that can be done to make Chucks registry better, but one will never be able to please everyone. I think most of us would love to know how many Panteras are out there, but such information doesn't come with the wave of a wand, but takes many years - as evidenced by Chucks site, and right now his registry and 'gut feelings' of how many more are out there are probably the closest any of us will come to knowing in a long time.

Cheers, Tim.