[DeTomaso] # of surviving cars

Ed Pike erpike at ymail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:07:05 EDT 2010

Here is my two cents...

I  have my car listed on Chuck's site. I use his site, probably not as much as I should. I appreciate all the time and effort he put into organizing my data. I like having my car there because I have an on line record of some of its history.

All it takes to gain "access" is to submit some (any) information. You don't have to have a car to be a member. I know this because someone else submitted some picures of my car that were taken prior to my owning it. All it takes is a little effort. I presume he does that so it lightens his (Chuck's ) work load. The result is as someone mentioned earlier approx 3,000? cars listed.

Don't forget, as someone mentioned earlier all the "official" records are a mismosh collection of gobble de gook anyway at least for the early cars. I tried to find a little history on my car before i bought it and was unsuccessful. All I got was what someone remembered so accurate data like you might find for a vintage Corvette or Mustang simply isn't there. I agree I would like to have it but the fact is - it is not there.

To those that think it should be better, go out and build one. There is no rule that says there can only be one and ultimatly the best one will survive. I think you will find it to be a full time job. I for one don't have the time or that level of dedication.

I hope this doesn't sound to "soap box ish" but I really appreciate the collection of information Chuck has  gathered.

So, Thanks Chuck and carry on.

Ed...