[DeTomaso] # of surviving cars

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:52:40 EDT 2010

A few notes.   (...Some very worthwhile notes, and my comments follow each.)

* POCA would very much like to have a full registry, however the time
and effort to do so are huge.  A while back, Chuck estimated that he had
put in over 2,000 hours on the registry to collect info, clean it up,
get pictures, verify the info, etc.

>>>I think POCA should (and could) have a DeTomaso Registry.  It will be a LOT of
work, and so far no one has stood up to staff that effort.

>>>I spent 2,000 hours the first year (maybe 13 months) setting things up and populating
it with data from my personal collection.

There is also a lot of time to hook up old info with new info to form a timeline of
ownership, mods, and events.
Of course, there is time and effort to build and maintain the
software and general website work. For the work that I have seen him do,
I am sure that it is well beyond 2,000 hours at this point (that's the
equivalent of working fulltime for more a year.)

>>>... fulltime for more a year... correct.  The ongoing effort is not much less
demanding.

* We have talked to Chuck about incorporating his registry into POCA and
move it onto the POCA website, but he has chosen to keep things as is.

>>>and for many reasons.  If you have ever worked for a committee and one
that changes with every election you know what kind of unique challenges, hurdles
and set-backs one can experience with ever-changing management direction. Thinking about
the long term... I'd rather be my own boss.

* Chuck has gone to great lengths to keep data private.  He does not
release owner info without first contacting the owner for permission to
release.  (I have noticed that people on this forum to tend to post
other people's contact info publically, which makes me cringe.)

>>>Correct.  I get MORE flak due to the Privacy issue than any other suggestion or
complaint, thus it MUST be important!  Security or Privacy is a continuum with maximum
security on one end and complete transparency and openness on the other.

People at one extreme feel no amount of security is sufficient, and thus won't
participate, while people on the other end feel ANY level of security is too much
'bother', and thus won't participate.  Then you have EVERYBODY else in between.
So the Registry is designed to attempt to cater to the largest group.
The sheer number of participants clearly shows that the current security posture
is meeting the needs of most people.

Remember the old adage (paraphrased): One can not make ALL the people happy ALL the time.

* Chuck has around 3,000 cars in the registry, so it has the majority of
the surviving cars.

>>>I would tend to concur.

* Peter Havlik has assembled a registry of the late model Panteras, VINs
9000 through 9641.  He sent me a CD with an update which I will load
onto the POCA website shortly.

>>>Peter, like many others Jack DeRyke mentioned (and those he did not like Ron Hyde),
have put much of their personal time into their work, and for the benefit of others.
I think Peter has sent out a CD (DVD ?) to everyone that has shared info.  Quite
commendable!

Chuck