[DeTomaso] Gas tank inside coating

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 13:57:32 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/19/10 7:44:13 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The tank is out and looks OK, but it looks like there is some
> corrosion inside on the bottom.  I found several products, Eastwood, POR 15, etc.  Any
> recommendations?  The Eastwood kit looks pretty complete, cleaner, rust
> remover, and coating.

As I've recommended before, I use a gallon of gas and some sort of hard
stuff such as a handful of bolts & nuts, well shaken. This knocks the loose
rust free so you don't waste chemicals. Then a rinse followed by an overnight
soak with phosphoric acid diluted in water to fill the tank to the brim. This
is sold as concrete or driveway etch at Home Depot and is a weak acid that
preferentially attacks rust, not clean steel. A thorough water rinse and you
have a tank thats coated inside with white chemically inert iron phosphate,
which resists further rust. The whole thing costs about what the shipping
is on Eastwoods kit. FWIW- J DeRyke