[DeTomaso] New Windsor vs All aluminum new 5.4 modular? - Life after 3 decades with a Cleveland

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 11:15:37 EDT 2010

> I am familiar with Cleveland sonic wall thicknesses, but not Windsors.
> Is it correct that the Windsors are a bit thicker than Clevelands?

Not that I've seen.  McLain has tested a fair number of them and says
they average about the same as 351C's.

> How much thicker would you say: a little; medium; or a lot thicker?

None but they may have less trouble with core shift.  302's are also
thin wall but have shorter cylinders so don't have the column buckling
failure mode.  They tend just to split the whole block down the center
(supercharged applications), or fret the main caps (RPM).

>  Dumb question: do  you think the new 5.0 liter cammer engine would
> fit in a Pantera without modifying the inner wheel housings as they
> are for the current cammers?

I don't think so but it depends upon the shape of the new heads.
If anything, the heads are bulkier for the variable valve timing
hardware.

>  Dumber question: any early independent reports on the Buttermore
> aluminum Cleveland block?

Not yet.

Dan Jones