[DeTomaso] question for the brain trust

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Mon Apr 19 10:36:38 EDT 2010

Gentlemen,

I have a very expensive natural gas hot water heater (city water) in my
house. It is also used to heat my house.

It has a stainless (magnetic 400?) tank. After 20 years it is starting to
leak around the weld points. I find out that this is common, as the weld
burns the nickel out of the metal and allows it corrode. I have patched it
up by brazing / sliver soldering the spots I can reach. It has started to
leak again.

I have tried everything I can think of from the outside; JB Weld, POR15,
epoxy putty, fiber glass etc. The 70 PSI from the inside just lifts it up
till it leaks again.

I am stripping the electronics and covers off of it to allow me to pressure
test it in the shop with air.

Question:

I would like to seal the tank from the inside. The sealer needs to be able
to hold up to the heat of the burner, seal well and NOT be poisonous, as I
drink this water.

What to use?

Thanks,

Larry - Cleveland