[DeTomaso] Track Mangusta

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 02:00:24 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/18/10 13 01 31, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>     I recently talked to Lilo Ben-Zicron and he said his Mangusta race car
> was done and he had found records showing it had been raced.  The only
> problem is that it has pretty radically modified suspension etc.

I got some fantastic photos of Lilo racing this Mangusta this weekend at
Thunderhill.   It's a fascinating car.   8MA1212.   He told me it had a long
racing history before he bought it.   I think perhaps it might be Max Sebba's
old car, which he raced on the east coast with the SCCA in 1973-74, which
is pictured in the De Tomaso racing book.

The car is extensively modified.   It's got completely different
spindles/uprights/hubs, with center-lock wheels, monster tires and Gr4-style flares.
The engine is a 289 with Webers, but in a very mild state of tune.   It has
a very simple exhaust system that exits straight to the rear from the
motor, going neither down (like the stock system does, under the car) nor up
above (like a speedboat).   The chassis is extensively reinforced with a
six-point roll cage, and X-braces in the front as well.   The rear hatches have
been replaced with a single fiberglass panel which is hinged at the roof--a
very smart design.

In a race with Shelby Mustangs, and a very potent Falcon, he clearly had
the handling advantage on them, but they would simply run away from him in the
straights.   He has a mild street motor and was shifting at about 6000 rpm
(sounded like a lot lower to us though), and they were winding up to 7500+.

The car is already in the registry but I took a bunch more photos, which
I'll send to Chuck tomorrow.