[DeTomaso] New Windsor vs All aluminum new 5.4 modular? - Life after 3 decades with a Cleveland

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 15:41:28 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/18/10 10:53:21 AM, teampantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I mean would not a better idea be the NEW 5.4 aluminum modular block that
> makes an easy 550-600HP and more importantly is a 100+ pounds LIGHTER look
> one hellva lot better in the back of a Pantera?!!!

Can't answer the question of low power from magazine engine builds, Dawg-
but an all-aluminum   DOHC 5.4 weighs 625 lbs according to Ford. The EFI plus
all those steel cams, valves & drives add up! An iron-head 351-C weighs 550
also according to Ford.   I haven't seen your ride for years but a stroker
crank is a few pounds heavier than a stocker; your 302Bs, intake & aluminum
waterpump knock off about 80 lbs so your stroker 351-C is likely around 475
right now. The Modular gives a flat firewall due to the shorter block but
its not particularly light.
If I was going modular, I'd find someone who bores & strokes modulars to
5.8 liters (357 cubes) and get more torque, better mileage and live with the
hemi-like size, weight & impressive appearance. Bring more of that oil money
you'll be getting, though.... Cheers- J DeRyke