[DeTomaso] old tires

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 15:35:02 EDT 2010

I had a set of Pirelli P7R's, in 345-35-15 flavor, split wide open on me in
less than 30 miles.

Brand new tires (un-used), with gorgeous treads and the little rubber nipple
things but they split right down the middle. I repeat - they had 30 miles on
them when they failed.

They were also 12 years old. I was lucky and was going about 25mph when I
heard a "BANG!!!!!!". I pulled over to see what the noise was and noticed
the car sagging to one side.

15" tires are hard to find and can be expensive.

Massive body work on your car, or extensive surgery on you because your tire
blew out in the first curve can be even more expensive.

After first-hand experience with a quality tire that blew out on me, I won't
run old tires again, regardless of how nice and new the treads look...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"