[DeTomaso] Painting Question???

Tom Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Sun Apr 18 13:36:52 EDT 2010

Sorry first message got sent before it was finished...here the rest of the message:

I am bead blasting my A-arms and notice that once you get through the
black factory top coat/paint there is a brown coating which is either fine rust
or brown primer?

The metal is cleaning up pretty well, but
there are some areas where there are pores in the metal too small to
remove all the rust, so there appears to be a very light film of rust
still present. I'm considering using an etching prep primer from Jasco (Prep & Prime). This seems to be a nuetralizer for really rusty metal, but the metal might be fine by just using a regular Alkyd rusty metal primer. I've never used an etching primer like this and not sure if it gives bad results on cleaner metal when no significant rust is present. I've read that the prep and prime activates when there is rust present due to chemical reactions and actually create a chemical bond to the metal.

Here's my question, should I do the following steps:
1. Jasco prep and prime
2. alkyd primer
3. top coat

Or should I eliminate Step 1 and not use the Jasco prep and prime?

Best Regards,

Tom Borcich