[DeTomaso] brake master cyl still bad?

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 11:53:02 EDT 2010

So after rebuilding all my calipers and switching back to DOT 4 fluid, I found the brake pedal would just go all the way to the floor with only mild resistance, while making a swooshing or mechanical wheezing sound.
I took the master cyl to the local Napa store but we were unable to identify which new one would replace it, so I sent it out for rebuilding.

Brought it home, bled all the lines, and the brakes are doing exactly the same thing-- pedal behaves in same way (engine not running).. No change in fluid levels in the reservoir, no leaks.  There was no fluid at the pushrod end of the m/c when I took it off before.

AFAIK there are 1.0 possibilities-- the master cyl main seals are letting the fluid pass from one chamber to the other inside.
Which means the "rebuild" job wasn't done at all or was done poorly.

Any other ideas?

Jim