[DeTomaso] Hall-modified front calipers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 12:41:09 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/16/10 7 50 39, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> >From your description, I'm afraid "half-modified" means you ended up
> with
> "half brakes".  There are a lot of good used, and even rebuilt, front
> calipers showing up on EBay now and then, and I know the vendors either
> stock rebuilt calipers, or will do it for you for a reasonable price
> (Byers
> did mine, and they've been great for street use).  Interestingly enough,
> they charge more to rebuild the rears than the fronts.
>
> Those jerry-rigged units you have sound like an accident waiting to
> happen.

They're not half-modified, they're HALL-modified, during the rebuild
process.   Hall actually does an excellent job rebuilding and reconfiguring the
stock front calipers.   Many stock front calipers have orifices that were
never fully machined, or so I've been told by the folks who rebuild them.   The
stock calipers have two inlets and only one bleed valve, if my memory
serves, while when they're rebuilt, they're modified to have a single inlet (like
every other caliper in the world) and two bleeder screws.

Mike--what kind of configuration do you have?   It wouldn't surprise me if
you have exactly the same setup as Jim does! :>)