[DeTomaso] Hall-modified front calipers

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 02:58:04 EDT 2010

I have the Hall-modified front calipers. As I recall they said one of the pistons wasn't even working in the stock caliper and they drilled inside to activate it. They also took off the connector tubing between the two outboard pistons and sealed off the lower large input with a bolt.

So there is now only one input connection, which is immediately adjacent to the upper bleed screw.

When I had the pistons out for rebuilding it occurred to me what a bad design it is--  the fluid has to dribble down from the input point, cross to the outboard side, then exit essentially where it enters. Which means that when you "change" brake fluid you won't be doing that-- it will just shunt across from input to output point.

Also, I still have a spongy pedal after switching back to non-silicone fluid.  I suspect there's a bunch of air in those front calipers

I'm thinking of moving the input line to the lower large input point so fluid will fill from the bottom of the caliper then unbolting the caliper and holding it at an angle so all the air in the outboard pistons can cross to the bleed screws on the inboard side.

Anyone else have these calipers?

Jim

=