[DeTomaso] rain gutter aero

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 21:02:17 EDT 2010

No- the tufts showed a boundary layer close to the body.... but if I
remember rightly, not up at the windows. My experiment a decade ago with
evaporative cooling on a damp finger stuck out approx. the back-middle of the window
showed the boundary layer right in front of the left gill seems to be about
4" thick. And thats the area I thought most likely affected by turbulence
off the section of rain gutter on the front pillar.
I could be wrong but that seems to square with small scoops not 'scooping'
any air at all, and wider elephant-ear scoops only working above around 150
mph. Aero is interesting and very unpredictable at the same time. Cheers- J
Deryke