[DeTomaso] ALTERNATOR

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 16:17:05 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/10/10 7:18:06 AM, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> currently have a Motorcraft one wire Alternator . I am sure it is
> the original 65 amp but would like to upgrade to a 100amp if possible.

Original Ford alternators were not one wire. They had three: power, field
and a sense-wire for the dashboard warning light- and were either 47 or 61
amps. Unless you havea lot of added on electrical stuff and you spend a large
amount of time idling around town, the 61 amp works fine. But if you spend
time at low engine revs with everything in the car turned on, the alt can't
keep up and will slowly discharge the battery, which had better be in good
shape. "Maintenence-free" batteries need water replaced occasionally in spite
of the sales pitches. A couple of years ago I wrote articles about possible
alternator and battery swaps in the POCA Newsletter. Good luck- J DeRyke