[DeTomaso] Subject: Re: Coolant Tube Removal

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Fri Apr 9 17:47:50 EDT 2010

I just want to add a little bit of  "Coolant Tube Removal" trivia that I
learned the hard way. When my engine was out, I thought I would be real
smart (famous last words) and order both SS tubes the full 6 ft long and not
have one side with a hose joint in the middle. It took over a year to get
them that way. I knew you couldn't do it with the engine in place, but I
didn't know you can't use both long tubes wth the engine out either!
You have to have a removable E-brake bracket or you can't do it.
I chose to cut the new tube in half rather than destroy the originality of
my car's intact E-brake bracket.
I know, I know, most of you would have bought a "vendor" bracket and sawed
the original off.

Barry

-----

  In a message dated 4/9/10 8 10 16, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

    Can the tubes under the car be removed without removing the engine?

  >>>Sure, it's easy.  All you need is a sawzall to cut the long one in two.

    One of the runs has a coupling/joiner in the middle. Will that section
come out?

  >>>Yes, the two halves come out easily.  After you've cut the long one in
the same location, the two halves of that will come out easily too.  You can
then clean up the cut ends and reuse that pipe if it's in decent shape.  But
if it was in decent shape, why would you be removing them?

  So, I predict they will go into the bin. :>)

----