[DeTomaso] Race trailers

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 21:27:26 EDT 2010

Depending on your state regs and GVWR of the trailer you may require a license endorsement, NV requires one for a trailer over 10,000lbs GVWR. The skills tests makes sure amongst otehr things that you know how to reverse the thing....

Personally I wouldn't want to try and pull anything close to 10,000lbs GVWR with a 'burban, getting anywhere close to that you'll probably want a load equalizing hitch.

I have a 32' triple axle gooseneck and here's some good and bad I have noted over my hauling ownership;

1. after buying the trailer and hauling it 300 miles home, realized I needed a bigger truck and a diesel. The Dodge V10 would pass anything except a gas station.....

2. twin axle would be sufficient, the payload for the triple axles is 9,000lbs, but I have no intention or need to haul around a suburban, although I guess you could carry a spare one, but that's kinda "chicken and egg" stuff.

3. get a trailer with 82" between wheel wells for a wide body Pantera.

4. I find 24' of floor space is about right for hauling one car plus tools, fuel and spares etc.

5. One extremely useful thing (and absolute necessity for the GT40) is a 48" side access door over the axles, this allows me to open the car door and exit with ease, rather than ungracefully clamber out of windows etc.

6. Installing e-track on the floor and walls allows plenty of flexibility in tie downs and storage etc.

7. Wish I had electric jacks, conversion is costly.

8. Trailering the car to the track now lets me focus on driving the car and not about the drive home afterwards.

Julian