[DeTomaso] New Clutch Issues

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:39:30 EDT 2010

I have just reinstalled my ZF after I had some work done to replace the ring/pinion and safety wire the bolts.

I decided to install a new McCleod 3 finger style clutch and pressure plate.

I also had the stock flywheel resurfaced.  Now that I put everything back together I am getting clutch chatter when I start out in first gear.

I've only driven it about 50 miles so far and it does seem to be getting a little better as I make more engagements but I shouldn't have any chatter.

I cleaned everything well before the install and I have the clutch engagement point set correctly.

I also now notice a strong vibration anytime the motor reaches about 2800rpm that wasn't there before I did the clutch work.   Looking for some help on process of elimination as to what could be wrong.

I suspect that maybe the resurfaced flywheel may now be out of balance or not resurfaced properly (or both)?

I laid a straight edge on it and it seemed flat before installation.  I dread having to take it all back apart.

Thanks!  Sean Mundy