[DeTomaso] Discolored front spindle

Mike & Elizabeth mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 15:35:56 EDT 2010

I was checking the front wheel bearings on 6328 this morning, and found
something interesting on the driver's side spindle and inner race of the
inner bearing.  As you can see in the pics at the following link . . .

http://poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=18408

Both the spindle and inner race of the bearing are discolored.  What is
interesting is that the discoloration starts at a specific spot on the
spindle (right photo) and the bearing (though not as obvious), then trails
off about 1/3 of the way around.  I'm not sure it this is heat damage, or if
I got some water in there, and this was the beginning of some corrosion.

What I need to know is if this looks like something I'm going to need to
replace the spindle for, or just buff it and put in fresh bearings.

As always, thanks for the help!

Mike Thomas
Yellow 74 L #6328