[DeTomaso] Wiring Gauge Rheostat ...

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:46:19 EDT 2010

The hot lead for the dimmer comes from fuse # 3 (which is 8 amp) and goes to
one side of the dimmer. The other side of the dimmer goes to the yellow and
black wire that is at the beginning of the  gauge lights which are all wired
in series. The same hot lead that supplies the current to the dimmer switch
is the lead that supplies the current to the cigarette lighter.Fuse 3 is a
switched circuit that is only one when the ignition switch is turned on to
at least accessory so it won't work if the key is turned off. You must
always exercise extreme caution when you are working on your wiring when the
system is "Hot". The gauge light bulbs are grounded to the chassis via a
black wire that goes to the harness and is grounded at one of the ground
posts (this one is near the A pillar on the drivers side of the car under
the dash. The ground wire is part of the harness that connects to the gauge
panel via a segment of the wiring harness that plugs into the main harness.
The schematic does not show that these wires are grouped together and have
connector plugs where the different parts of the harness connect.

Boyd