[DeTomaso] Hemmings

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 02:31:57 EDT 2010

Thanks for posting the article.

I think he did okay.  True - he made some mistakes, but most of it is fairly accurate.

Here's what I didn't like:

"Even if the engine could somehow be properly tamed for the EPA's sniffers with pellet-type cats and lower-lift cams, there was no way it would survive 5-MPH crash tests, even with battering-ram bumpers.  In this country, Pantera was a sports car with no past, and no future."

Really?  Was it really that different from other cars of the time?  The 2 biggest things that killed the Pantera were the high cost and the initial bad press.  Could Ford have sold it long-term competing with the Corvette?  Probably not at twice the price.

He says, "...wedged between the console and door panel", but he also says, "Pantera's surprisingly roomy interior.".  It's probably just bad writing.

"we had to pry off our size 11 1/2's and drive in stocking feet".  Well, that's probably just exaggeration.  I've driven with hiking boots before - size 11's.

"Our two feet were exactly as wide as the Pantera's three pedals".  Bull....  Maybe wider than the 2 pedals, but there is no way his feet are wider than all 3 pedals.  No way.