[DeTomaso] 427 SOHC in a Pantera?

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 20:24:00 EDT 2009

The tempting thing is you can finally buy brand new aluminum 427 SOHC heads from at least 2 sources.  One is Dove, the other is Gene? Coon.  The cost is around $6,000 bare.  There's also a guy in Australia making 427 SOHC parts.  (Munroe?)  Sorry about the sp? on the names.  I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

The rest of the parts have been available for years - chains, cams, valve covers, timing cover, etc.

True, a 427 SOHC would cost quite a bit more than the alternatives, but it's the holy grail for Fords.

You can also easily bore/stroke to 500" (which has been mentioned).

The negative is it's so overstated that it likely wouldn't be any fun driving.  I can't believe I said that.  I really am over the hill.