[DeTomaso] NOISY MUFFLERS-REPACKING / Dick Ruzzin

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 29 16:20:58 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/29/09 13 18 36, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Mike, your mufflers made 12hp more than stock mufflers on the same
> engine,
> but I thought that yours were completely gutted.
>
>>>They were--in the sense that all the internal structure was remove, and
replaced with a Y-pipe.   The pipe was preforated with holes, and the
remainder of the muffler can was filled with stainless muffler packing.

> Yours were stuffed with steel wool?
>
>>>Well, it's sort of like steel wool, but it's dedicated muffler packing,
slightly more coarse and durable.

> Would it be fair to say that gutted GTS
> mufflers would be both slightly louder and yield slightly more hp than
> yours?
>
>>>I doubt that an empty can would perform better--in fact I'd be willing
to hazard a guess and say that airflow would be disrupted and if anything,
performance might be a bit less.   And I think they would be a LOT louder, not
just 'slightly louder'.