[DeTomaso] NOISY MUFFLERS-REPACKING / Dick Ruzzin

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 22:50:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/28/09 16 07 7, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Looking for muffler repacking on the Internet I found that some
> motorcycle mufflers are designed to be repacked.
> I also found that >Stainless Steel Wool, Grade 734<, is used in England.
>
> My header pipes, from the turn at the front of the muffler to the turn
> toward the back of the headers is about 24 inches X 2 1/4 inches.  I just
> might try doing that.
>
> Has anyone else done that?

I extensively modified my GTS mufflers with perforated Y-pipes inside the
cans, and used race muffler packing that I got from Howe Racing.   It's
stainless steel wool, which works just like fiberglass but lasts about five times
longer (and costs accordingly).

Acoustically, my muffler modifications are a great success.   I have
essentially straight-through mufflers now, but they are substantially quieter than
straight pipes or Hall/Mind Train-style muffers.