[DeTomaso] 427 SOHC in a Pantera?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 22:48:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/28/09 19 26 4, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> Anyways, his dream is to put a Ford 427 SOHC in the car.  After I
> pulled myself off the grass and stopped my insane laughter, he tells
> me he figures he will move the gas tank up front (I suggested a fuel
> cell), relocate the coolant tanks, and redo the inner wheelhouse
> panels a bit and slide that SOHC right in there.
>
> Has anyone ever done this?
>
> Is there the slightest chance it can be done?

Don...Don...can't remember his last name. But a guy named Don down in
So-Cal built a 427 sideoiler-powered Pantera (with a targa roof) back in the 80s.
  It sold a few years ago, and at that time, the details of the conversion
were laid out.

It was very non-trivial.   Among other things, I think he had to notch the
fuel tank, seriously reshape the firewall, and etc. and so forth.   A SOHC
motor would require even more extensive reworking.

In this day and age, there is absolutely NO reason to go through that
agony.   If you want 427 iinches, get a stroker Windsor.   If you want the
biggest, baddest motor you can buy, get a stroker 460.

Those SOHC motors are worth a fortune, and deserve better than to be
stuffed into a Pantera.   There's a guy in Detroit who has a fantastic collection
of Ford-powered cars; one of my favorites is a '63 1/2 Ford Starliner with
an SOHC 427.   Totally bitchin'! :>)