[DeTomaso] Boss Block

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Mon Sep 28 11:45:12 EDT 2009

This is essentially the same as the mid 1990's 351 SVO block I'm using.
You'll also need one of the cast alloy type 351W front covers.  And because
there's no thermostat provision in the block and the 351C type intake you'll
be using also has no thermostat provision, you'll need a remote thermostat
housing or an in-line bypass type thermostat.  I added 90 degree 1" elbows
at the front of each head on the intake mating surface.  These connect to
the remote thermostat via 1" rubber hoses.

If anyone wants to use this type of block in a build, I'd be happy to share
the parts list I used for the conversion.

These blocks are far stronger than our 351C's with the 351W type oiling
system.  The NASCAR guys were routinely turning 10,000 RPM with this type of
block in their Winston cup cars so you know these blocks are stout!
Although they were using a $4000 Sonny Bryant "kryptonite" crankshaft, and
the most expensive Crower forged rods, so don't try this at home!

>From the rear, the only giveaway that it's not a Cleveland will be the lack
of the ugly oil pressure sender which mounts at the left front on a 351W.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505