[DeTomaso] rear brakes

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 13:34:32 EDT 2009

I have misplaced my service manual.It is a reproduction and has a plain
black cover and I appear to have either misplaced it or accidentally threw
it out. I have ordered a new copy of "the works" from the POCA store but it
has not arrived yet. I seemed to remember reading something about the slot
in the piston  having to be turned being turned but I didn't remember the
details. I thought I could replace the pads with out removing the caliper by
just removing the pin assembly . I bent the tabs down on the bolts holding
the caliper on and in spite of the fact that it is not necessary to remove
the caliper to replace the brake pads I still wanted to remove the caliper
because I am upgrading to Brembo calipers and 13.1" rotors as soon as my new
wheels get here so i wanted to familiarize myself with the rear carrier and
caliper assembly. I am mixing up a batch of the acetone ATF mixture that was
recently written about as a superior product to loosen frozen nuts and
bolts. I am also going to pick up a breaker bar that is longer then my 3/4"
ratchet but short enough to fit in the wheel well.
So to be sure you turn the slot in the piston to a 45 degree angle to unlock
it and allow it to be pushed all the way in. Once the piston pushed all the
way in I turn the piston back so that the slot is straight?
Thanks

Boyd

Boyd