[DeTomaso] Pictures from Goodwood Revival

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 10:36:06 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Last weekend I attended the Goodwood Revival in England. Mike Drew has
described it in detail in the past, but the Reader's Digest Summary is as
follows:

The Goodwood Revival is a classic car/aviation event that is classic in
every sense of the term. Vintage clothing is strongly encouraged in all of
the area, and required in many parts. There are no modern facilities in view
anywhere - the ATM machines are located inside classic, traditional phone
booths. The food vans are all from the 50s. Security is dressed as police
from the 40s. There is an enormous parking lot reserved for Classic cars,
and anything modern has to be parked far away and out of sight.

The event lasts three days, with continuous air shows including P51-s and
Spitfires and races all weekend broken down by vintage. Geoff Peters was
kind enough to invite me for the weekend, and we travelled to the show in
his Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, top down of course.

Saturday was kind of a social day, meeting up with friends and simply
watching the show. We sat at a table and watched the people stroll by -
people took getting dressed up in period clothing VERY seriously. Johnny
Woods, Gaenor, and Eden showed up dressed in fantastic period clothing,
although we think that they missed the intended period by, oh, 100 years or
so! Kjetil and Lisa from Finland had the look down. We met Roger and Melanie
Coates and heard about the recent restoration of Melanie's mini. Probably
75% of the people who travelled together to Le Mans Classic last year were
in attendance, so it was great to see everyone.

The second day I spent most of the day watching the racing. There were some
tremendously competitve races, and it was fascinating to watch. A number of
races came down to the last lap, or the first couple of cars went
bumper-to-bumper for lap after lap. It was plainly obvious that these
drivers were out there to win and not just stroll around the track in their
million dollar cars. I was truly impressed by how the Jags and Ferraris
performed a perfect all-wheel drift lap after lap, each corner taken at the
absolute limit of the tires. There were some very consistant drivers out
there.

The weekend came to a close, I got up at 3:30am on Monday to catch a flight
back to Spain as I had to work. It was a fantastic weekend, and now that I
know what it is, I think we'll be attending regularly in the future. There
is so  much to see - the people decked out in their period clothing, the
cars in the pits, each one with its history. the parking lot of the event,
with row after row of fantastic machinery. the food, the planes, the noises,
the music. it was sensory overload!

To get a feel for the atmosphere I posted some pix on my POCA website.

http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11263

Charles McCall

1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375

"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"

 <http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=2323>