[DeTomaso] R&R Door Handles

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 15:35:35 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/26/09 8:12:28 AM, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I am going to have to pull my passengers door handle this winter to
> repair the bezel and so it will lock again.  Looked at Mike Dailey's website but
> nothing on taking the handle out / replacing it.  Has someone put together
> a how-to with pics?  I've heard this can be pretty tricky.

No photos, but first, remove the door panel upholstery and look closely at
the   lock mechanism when you try locking it. If the latch retaining screws
in the door frame are the least bit loose, the door lock button will not
actuate the lock. In one Pantera, massive wear in the lock itself did the same
thing. I added a tiny screw to the loosely staked part, and the lock then
worked.
The simplest way to remove the whole assembly from the door without damage-
especially to those fragile little plastic couplers, is to leave the
locking rod and couplers assembled. It connects to a die-cast ring that's held to
the lock assembly with a small roll pin. By pushing the roll pin out, the
link comes off and the rod and its brittle coupler is undisturbed.
If you're changing door handles, the Hall all-metal door handle is flat, so
on a Pantera door with its compound curves, the latch will force the door
skin flat, causing a visible buckle in the skin around the handle. Some have,
at great expense, had the aluminum door handle flanges milled into a
shallow matching curve; this then gives you a much stronger door handle assembly
that fits. Good luck, all- J Deryke