[DeTomaso] Crankcase Evacuation System

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Thu Sep 24 17:17:55 EDT 2009

I think we need to look at this a bit closer.

The motor does not need air circulation. It needs to release any pressure
from, blow by, gasses from the cylinders. If not it will blow a seal to
relieve it self (much as I do from time to time). In a motor that has
pollution equipment on it, the gases are burned with the PCV (positive crank
ventilation) system. I think the PCV systems helped the motors of the '60s
keep there insides cleaner then the motors of the '50s, that had vent tubes.

If you have a standard carb, run a PVC system. If you race your car and keep
the R's up you will have more blow by and maybe need to run both. I know
some of the racers have oil leaks at high Rs from the pressure. It has also
been proven that you do gain some HP by having a vacuum in the crank case.

Now when you have a motor like me, Webers and 180's. I plan on running a
crank case vacuum pump and the vent tubes back to the 180s.

Time will tell.

Larry - Cleveland