[DeTomaso] Bulkhead Reduction Kit

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:37:07 EDT 2009

Jack,

  That's whatI've been thinking of doing now.  Not using the bulkhead cover at all.  Filling, insulating, and upholstering or carpeting the firewall and doing the same to the removable cover.  That alone will give 3/4 or an inch more room in the cabin.

If you do the alternator move, then you can reduce the size of the cover more.

  And one more thing...it seems the geometry of the motor and tranny mounts is pretty basic. It looks like lowering the engine & tranny an inch would require simple mods to the mounts. You could move it back a bit too but just lowering it straight down would give more room at the front of the engine and the sometimes tight distributor area.

   While very little is "simple" to do on these cars with the water lines, shifter, throtle cable etc. being there, this doesn't seem any worse that some of the other projects I and others do.

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa ...........look out, I'm puttin' on my thinkin' cap!