[DeTomaso] Bulkhead Reduction Kit

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 13:30:50 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/23/09 12:02:34 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I thought that the bubble portion of the firewall cover can separate from
> the rest and be made a separately removeable part.  It seems like you
> could do that inexpensively with your old firewall, and modify and recover the
> bubble only.  Then you get the convenience of just removing the bubble and
> the extra leg room.

Correct. I've done that and written an article, with photos, in past
newsletters. Rod Kunishige of TPOC also wrote a pictorial description of his
bubble-removal in the newsletter. Once the bubble is cut free of the rest of the
upholstery, its simpler to work on bulkhead reduction. The commercial kits
also require the bubble to be cut free. The work can be done without a kit if
you're handy, using only basic tools, but there is a little welding or
brazing required for do-it-yourselfers
The bulkhead protrusion is from the alternator and the waterpump; in the
kit(s), the alternator is repositioned so the passenger seat goes back much
further towards the rear firewall. The seat backs can also be slightly
modified to allow back-rake adjustment for even more riding comfort. Good luck- J
Deryke