[DeTomaso] Bulkhead Reduction Kit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 19:03:25 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/23/09 10 21 42, ADRMPRINCE at aol.com writes:

> I am thinking about installing a Bulkhead Reduction Kit in my car.   The
> questions I have are:
>
>     -Is the kit still available?
>
>>>Yes.

>     -If so, where can it be purchased?
>
>>>It was originated by Kirk Evans, and later copied by Dennis Quella.
Both of them sell it.

>     -How much work will be needed on the engine to make  it fit?
>
>>>Fairly minimal.   You have to remove your A/C compressor, alternator,
and then modify the alternator compressor mounting bracket (with a hacksaw or
cutting tool).   If you don't already have a rotary compressor, you'll have
to get one as part of the upgrade.   Your old alternator may or may not be
suitable too--the vendor selling the kit will be able to advise you.

>     -Can a novice do it?
>
>>>Absolutely.

>     -How involved is this whole process?
>
>>>Not particularly involved--it's all fairly straightforward nutsy-boltsy
stuff.   Plan on spending the better part of a day on the project however.

>     -Approximate ball-park figure of money  involved
>
>>>Depending on whether you have to buy things like the alternator or
compressor, or if you can reuse your old ones.   Those add substantially to the
cost of the package.   Also, the removable center section is an extra-cost
option (but one that is so worthwhile that I wouldn't remotely consider doing
the conversion without it).

I got my kit from Kirk Evans--in fact mine was the prototype for the
removable center section.   He learned a few things from mine, and the subsequent
ones are much better.

You can get the panel upholstered in stock-style material
(indistinguishable from the original), or for considerably less cost, you can get it in bare
fiberglass and have your local shop do the work (that's if you had a custom
leather interior or something).   It's a safe bet that if you are planning
on using stock-style material, it would be much cheaper and easier to buy it
already done rather than have a local shop try to do it for you.

I'm not impressed with the mechanism used to turn the water pump; it relies
on a perfectly sized belt, which requires you to remove the water pump
pulley to install it.   Dennis Quella sells an optional bracket which bolts to
the front of the water pump and supports an idler pulley; that allows you to
control the tension on the water pump belt, and gives you flexiblity with
respect to belt choice (the standard kit relies not only on a specific length
belt, but a specific BRAND in that length--not all belts are created equal).

Either Dennis Quella or Kirk Evans should be able to hook you up with
everything you need.   If you carry tall passengers, they will appreciate the
additional space the kit affords them.   And if you ever work on your engine,
YOU will appreciate the unrestricted engine access!