[DeTomaso] Paint

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun Sep 20 00:06:45 EDT 2009

Definantly let the painter do what he is comfortable with.

I missed the main point. Are you fixing or repainting? Fixing I would
stick with the type of paint it was painted with; (single stage for
older enamels). Matching paint color can be done regardless of type but
fixing a single enamel with base/clear will never look the same. The
shine of clear will always look odd.

If your painting the whole car I prefer base/clear. Here is a car I
jammed up with single stage (jammed up meaning everything but body). The
body was base coat clear coat. The single stage just doesn't have the
shine the base clear and seems to wear through easier over time. When I
paint the Pantera all of it will be base/clear.

Matching color albeit single stage or base/clear will always take a
couple times to get it right. I got water in my gun and had to re-paint
the rear quarter. It took the paint co 3x to mix the same mix and get
the color to match and yes it was a base/clear with blending:

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/jam4.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/jam3.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/bod4.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/webered.jpg