[DeTomaso]   Fw:  FOR Sale Rant

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 20:36:15 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/19/09 14 25 57, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> One engineer-owner found his
> unmolested car to have the front crossmember welded in place some 1-1/2"
> LOWER on
> one side, causing the entire front body- with its nicely fitting panel
> joints-
> to be slightly skewed, and again- factory wheels not well aligned to the
> fender edges. Regardless of Ford's best efforts, these are hand-built
> cars!

When telling anecdotes like this, it's important to ask if the owner in
question is the *original* owner.   Most likely, he's not, and the scenario you
describe is a direct result of poor accident repairs earlier in the car's
life.

My car has such a history, and its irregularities can be directly
attributed to this.

The Ford-era cars were built in jigs from stampings, and were remarkably
square.   It's only after living a hard life that anomolies like yours crop
up.

The GT5-S cars are a different story--those things were horribly mismatched
side-to-side due to the fact that the panels were hand-beaten rather than
stamped.