[DeTomaso] FOR Sale Rant

Will Demelo wdemelo at cogeco.ca
Sat Sep 19 09:56:10 EDT 2009

I appologise for last weeks post with the expletives.
I am trying to convert my car to GR4. The fibreglass flares are going to be riveted on, just as from the factory.
I ordered wheels from a vendor last fall and the agreed upon price was not charged to my card. Apparently there was more machining involved. After waiting 3-4 months, I gave up and cancelled the order. The wheels had not beed started yet (confirmed by Kodiak). I had to threaten credit card fraud to get my money back.
I recently placed another order to another vendor. I was told that they had converted many cars. I mounted the flares on my car using clamps and took measurements to the hub surface.
After requesting the backspace measurements 3 times, I was finally told 4.5"F and 6.5"R.
The reproduction Campys I have on my car now, with stock narrow body, have a 6.25" backspacing. Now I'm no math major, but how are new wheels, with almost the same backspacing be correct after I extend the flares outward about 4"??
I was told by the vendor that I was doing things backwards. I should get the wheels and then modify the flares to accomodate. I don't agree with this. There is zero movement with my flares. They have to meet front and rear body lines and then the upper portion gets pushed to meet the body.
I don't inderstand how I can't mount my flares to the body, take measurements and order wheels with custom offsets.
Ron L has just spent $5500 on GR4  wheels from a vendor and he requires 1" spacers in the rear. I know of another fellow with a factory GT5 and the GR4 wheels he ordered with "factory" specs required 1 1/2" spacers in the rear and 3/4 in the front.
I'll be damned if I am going to spend uwards of $5k to then have to replace studs and install spacers.
I try my best to send all info and communicate to only have vendors ship me parts, at my expense.
Will