[DeTomaso] 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 18 19:51:38 EDT 2009

If it allows for unlimited damage, then what's the standard?  Isn't it
supposed to say, NO damage?  Or do you mean no damage under 2.5mph, but
unlimited above that?

Here are 3 data points.

1.  My wife was parked at a red light, when she was rear ended.  She had
been stopped for 10-15 seconds.  The guy must have been texting or
something.  She wasn't hit very hard.  They agreed to pull off the busy
road, so they could exchange info in the parking lot.  He drove off.  We
never found him.  This was in the Honda Insight.  The damage was about $500.
The bumper cover had to be removed and repainted.

2.  My wife backed the Porsche into a truck bumper.  It was one of those
mongo bumpers on an F-350000.  It slightly inverted the bumper cover, plus
it tore the plastic.  (I think I've told this story before).  At any rate,
the damage was minor - estimates were around $1000, but a painter friend
fixed it for about $200.  He did some other work at the same time.  The
total was $500, so I'm guessing on the amount for the bumper cover.

3.  My wife passed an a-hole that later thought it would be cute to nudge
her when he caught up to her at a stop sign.  He drove off, but we got a
picture of his license plate.  He claimed that she put the car in reverse
and rammed him.  The nudge caused the bumper cover to flex enough to crack
the paint badly.  Yes - it was the same bumper cover that had been repainted
from #2 - probably not enough flexability additives.  The estimate was about
$500.  Insurance won't pay because they say it's his word against ours.

My point?  These fancy bumpers don't seem to be doing their job.  If a low
speed impact costs near $1000, I'd rather have something stylish - like
Pre-L bumperettes.