[DeTomaso] parts mix up with new slave

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:56:51 EDT 2009

The thing that got me a little PO'd even though it was ultimately my mistake
is he fact that I called and spoke to Steve directly concerning the issue of
the slave cylinder ( stock vs long throw) and the details of changing from
my polished clutch master cylinder to a stock clutch master cylinder and
replacing the red plastic line with the braided stainless  line. Based on
Steves recommendation I purchased a stock slave cylinder ( I don't know how
much the fact that Wilkinson doesn't carry a long throw slave has to do with
his recommendation) After a 15 minute telephone conversation wit Steve I
purchased a slave cylinder, a clutch master cylinder and a stainless line.
It was my impression that this was completely replacing every thing in my
clutch hydraulic system except for the metal line that goes from the clutch
master cylinder to the red plastic line under the car. If I had ordered the
parts directly from the web site or from a  sales clerk I would be less
disappointed.  When I ran into trouble I called and Steve was off. I left a
message ( with a live person not a recording )and asked him to call me when
he  came in. He never called back and when I finally gave up on getting a
return call I called back and he didn't acknowledge my message or seem to
recall anything about the transaction or even remember having spoken to
me.The hardest part of this whole episode besides taking almost two weeks
(so far) to get my car drivable is paying $45.00 for a fitting that probably
cost a few bucks at most to make ( the threaded fitting that  screws into
the slave on one end and the stainless line on the other.)  How can a small
threaded fitting cost $45.00 when the entire slave cylinder with the piston,
push rod, rubber boot , and other assorted pieces only cost $58.00?
Boyd