[DeTomaso] Re-key door and/or rear deck locks??      Two different key profiles?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 14:52:56 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/15/09 10:47:08 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> It appears there are two key profiles for the door lock keys?  The two
> different keys I have will not insert into the other locks.

Anyone contacted Wilkinson about this being legitimate or simply a case of
worn locks and keys?
When we got our Pantera in 1980, it had two sets of three different keys,
all made by Taylor Locks: the ignition which is double-sided and markex
'X-20',   a left door and a right door key (all so badly worn the id mark is
illegible) that also opened the trunk lock. I note that all the door keys are
identical  except for the groove on one side of the 'right' door keys being
slightly wider than that of the left door. My son (NOT a locksmith and then in
his teens) was able to re-do the tumblers in the locks such that we now
have two sets of one ignition and one 'other' key. It's possible our
37-year-old machine's locks are worn enough that the keys now fit where they wouldn't
when the car was new. FWIW- J Deryke