[DeTomaso] NPC Watched nice newer looking 'Clunkers' being crushed today

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 13 17:45:32 EDT 2009

Let me tell you about my dad's truck:

He had a farm truck that he purchased several years ago for $100.

It didn't have a bed, so he bought one - for $300.

The bed didn't fit.  It was for a normal truck, and the farm truck was an extended cab.  If you put the bed on the truck, the wheel wells were in the wrong place.  So, he cut a foot or two off the cabside of the bad.

The bed was a different color.

The dog ate the seats.

The springs were bent from being overloaded.

None of the wheels matched.

This truck was a piece of junk.  It was used on the farm to haul junk around.  The best part was the 351W that was running like a champ.

He traded it in on a new pickup truck, even though he already had a King Ranch edition truck.

Now he has a truck that he doesn't need.  It cost $17K after rebates, cash-for-clunkers, and so on.  The truck probably cost Ford $12K to make.

My dad is a die-hard Republican. He even does the expensive fund-raising dinners.  He has met Dick Cheney and George W.  He did the cash-for-clunkers because he wanted something back from the gov't for all the mess that's been going on.

I can sort-of see the logic behind cash-for-clunkers, but once again, the government has proven that it doesn't know what it is doing.  (no comments about my dad)