[DeTomaso] Engine Lift Plate Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 16:03:31 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/11/09 12:47:39 PM, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

> Is an engine lift plate safe for lifting a Cleveland without the trans?
> The plate I'm talking about bolts to the intake manifold.  Any horror
> stories?

Those lift plates work in spite of the carb studs being so small. Just
don't get any part of your body underneath while the block's in the air- you've
already used   up all your luck for 2009! If you're lifting BOTH the engine
and ZF, the lift plate will need one of those crank-driven load-levellers,
as the balance point for the package is at the bellhousing flange, not the
carb. The load-leveller is also handy to angle the engine or whole powertrain
while getting things out from under the Pantera's roof, and don't forget to
pull the distributor cap; more than one single-handed engine pull on
Panteras has cracked the rear window with a dizzy cap (or in one case, a set of
Webers). Good luck- J Deryke